10 tips for making fashion backstage videos.
1. Show up, start filming and stay in the background.
Your goal is to make your backstage video as authentic as possible, therefore make yourself invisible and the team will work naturally.
2. Use a small camera. For instance, I use a mirrorless camera: Sony Nex 5N.
If you work with big cameras, you won’t be that flexible and the team will find it impossible to ignore your mega HD professional camcorder.
3. Get some “peak a boo” shots.
Don’t try to get the best view, let people stand in the way, shoot through clothing racks, between people, etc.
4. Film from strange angles - from the ground, in the corner, from the top of a ladder etc.
5. If you have a spare flip camera (or iPhone), place it somewhere safe and press record.
That footage can be used to create a quick stop motion clip.
Turn it black and white, et voila.
6. Capture little moments for 30 secs-1 min on film.
It will be easier to review your footage afterwards, rather than having 20 minute shots.
7. If possible, avoid music during the shoot.
Otherwise you’ll have to mute out the real audio and use another song for the video.
8. Use external microphones if you want to add interviews to your video.
Even your iPhone is good enough to be used as a microphone. Anything is better than the microphone of your camera.
9. Don’t set up scenes.
Like I already mentioned, just show up, start filming and stay in the background!
10. The shots you don’t want to miss:
- the Makeup-artist applying makeup
- the team fiddling around the model putting her dress on, straightening her hair etc.
- the team from the models point of view
- the photographer directing the model
- the model posing with a clear background
Check out the tiles of backstage photographs above for inspiration. Some of them are linked to the actual backstage video.
Please note that all those tips regarding making fashion backstage videos are based on my own experience and style.
If you have any questions, please ask me!
P.S.: For more tips, click here.
- niciseoul posted this